I am not a pretty sight when I wake up in the morning. Regardless of how well I removed my make up the night before, there’s always mystery mascara shadowing my eyes and if I’m lucky, a crease down my cheek from the pillow. I mean, who doesn’t want to look like Scar from The Lion King?? And honestly, the older I get the longer it takes for my face to fall back into place. I usually avoid looking in a mirror until I’m at least 2 cups of coffee in and the shower has flattened down my hair which is always somehow standing on end. Does someone actually creep in and electrocute me in my sleep?!
But every morning, without fail, I eventually face the mirror, apply make-up, style my hair and select an outfit which works with my body shape and indicates the kind of woman I need to be that day; whether that’s going on a date, working with clients, running workshops or chilling with friends.
Appearance matters. You can post all the feedback you like about how it shouldn’t, but it just does. The way you present yourself to the world is an indication of how you expect the world to treat you and even more importantly, it’s an indication how much you value yourself. Look, if hairy armpits work for you then rock on, but I’m here to tell you that being lazy with a razor to prove a point that you don’t need to impress anyone, impresses no one. Especially a man.
I work with awesome women, some in my singles coaching programs and some through workshops, and it amazes me how many successful women out there don’t know how to best present themselves, especially when it comes to dating. Here are the top 5 style errors I see all the time:
1. Un-styled hair. Look, we’ve all had that week where we’re waiting for our hair appointment to come round and roots are undeniable, but washing and styling your hair should be as common place as showering. Tell me you shower daily!
2. Too much or too little make up. Too much and you look like a transvestite. But no make-up is as bad as hairy armpits. You don’t need to change your features, but enhance what you’ve got so you feel more confident in what you’ve been blessed with.
3. Chipped nails. I understand that it might not be possible to have a weekly manicure, but it takes less than 30 seconds to remove chipped nail varnish and file your nails into shape. Stop being lazy.
4. Not understanding body type and dressing accordingly. Some people shouldn’t wear skinny jeans. And no one should ever wear leggings as trousers. This my friend is not an appropriate outfit for any occasion other than lying on your sofa with the curtains drawn, totally alone. Even the cat shouldn’t see you like this.
5. General wellbeing. We all come in different shapes and sizes and I think that’s awesome, but when you eat well, look after your skin and exercise regularly, you’re far more attractive. Why? Because you’re telling the world that you value YOU. And there’s nothing sexier than that.
Like it or not, men want to go out with a woman who takes pride in her appearance (and all of the women I work with want the same from their man!). So knowing how to make the best of what you’ve got is critical, not just so Mr Right is attracted to you, but to build the self-esteem you need to attract Mr Right. The more dating success my clients achieve, the more this is becoming apparent to me and so I’m spending the last few days of 2015 arranging for style, hair and make-up experts to speak at my workshops in 2016. And even more exciting news!
I’ll be working with them to include style, make-up and hair consultations into my programs for 2016 and there’ll be some cool online hints and tips coming too! If you’d like to know more, get in touch today and as always, feel free to like, comment and share!